A Center for Shared Services client, the leading data and technology provider for the pro-free market political and advocacy community, is seeking a Data Scientist to discover actionable insights using a large repository of individual-level data. The ideal candidate is someone who has significant analytical experience with very large data sets and is looking to leverage that knowledge to make a difference in economic freedom. This data and technology organization, which supports other organizations that promote free enterprise and smaller government, offers a dynamic workplace positioned on the leading edge of politics, technology, and business. They are seeking team members who are as excited about their cause as they are about building the next generation of political technology.
- Build and shape political advocacy tools and products by applying advanced analytical techniques to large data sets.
- Develop and apply models that predict individuals’ propensity to engage in a behavior or hold a particular political viewpoint.
- Design and implement new visualization techniques to help customers extract more meaning from their data.
- Present analytical results, both orally and in writing, to technical and non-technical audiences.
- MS or PhD in a technical field, preferably statistics, mathematics, computer science, systems engineering, or a related field. Those with a non-technical degree but extensive technical experience are also encouraged to apply.
- 3+ years of experience with SPSS, SAS, R, Stata, or equivalent platform. Mastery of at least one statistical package is required
- Theoretical knowledge and extensive experience with advanced analytical techniques including data mining, machine learning, and/or predictive modeling is required
- Real-world experience manipulating large data sets using Python, Perl, SQL, shell scripts, or similar is a plus
- Experience with terabyte-class data sets and “big data” storage frameworks is a huge plus, as is a background in visualization, computer science, or relational databases
- Consumer modeling and experience with commercial databases is a big plus
- Real-world experience creating actionable data visualizations for consumption by non-technical audiences required
- Strong math and statistics background required
- Experience in risk management or fraud detection is a big plus
- Political/advocacy experience in activist or free market organizations and experience working with voter files is a big plus
- Experience with data mart-style dimensional databases a plus